Cağatay Bircan

❍ Field of current or former occupation: Economics
❍ Email: [email protected]

Question: What is your current occupation and where do you live? Please briefly describe your duties and responsibilities. How long have you been at this position?

Cağatay Bircan: I am a research economist at the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in London. I do academic research on economic development, mainly focused on emerging economies of Eastern and Southern Europe and the Middle East. I have been at this position since September 2012.

Question: Did studying German language and culture at Williams College help you in your professional and personal development? If yes, then how were German Studies useful to you? What opportunities and challenges did the German major open up for you both specific to your current occupation and more generally?

Cağatay Bircan: It definitely helped me in my professional and personal development. Living and working in London means that I have a lot of colleagues speaking European languages such as German. Being able to interact with them in their language and to follow developments in Germany from local sources are very helpful. The German major offered me an opportunity to get to know German-speaking countries better and spend time in Berlin to work on economic research with colleagues there. Although my research was conducted in English, knowing the local language always helps to integrate with the community there more quickly and always makes for a fruitful research visit.

Question: Please share your advice or recommendation about the German department at Williams to a prospective student who is considering taking courses or majoring in our program.

Cağatay Bircan: I would recommend future German students to take a variety of courses from German literature to arts to studies. I would also recommend practicing as much as possible with native speakers in Williamstown.

Question: Would you be willing to serve as a contact person for current students of German about your career or life path? If so, how should students contact you?

Cağatay Bircan: Yes, current students can contact me on this email, especially if they plan to move to London or also are involved in economic research.