Joseph P. Shaw

❍ Field of current or former occupation: Finance
❍ Email: [email protected]

Question: What is your current occupation and where do you live? Please briefly describe your duties and responsibilities. How long have you been at this position?

Joseph P. Shaw: Semi-retired for about a year. Living in Worthington, MA – about 45 minutes from Williamstown. Most recent position was President & CEO of Champlain National Bank, Willsboro, NY. Still consulting with an emphasis on M&A transactions and bank negotiations.

Question: Did studying German language and culture at Williams College help you in your professional and personal development? If yes, then how were German Studies useful to you? What opportunities and challenges did the German major open up for you both specific to your current occupation and more generally?

Joseph P. Shaw: Yes! After Williams I got an MBA from Columbia University and combined the MBA with my German degree to work in the International Division of Manufacturers Hanover Trust. Although I left international banking after only 6 years I made frequent use of German during my travels to Europe as a member of the US Marathon Kayak Team (1988-1998)

Question: Please share your advice or recommendation about the German department at Williams to a prospective student who is considering taking courses or majoring in our program.

Joseph P. Shaw: Knowledge of a language aside from English is a great skill.It can serve you well both professionally and on a personal level.

Question: Would you be willing to serve as a contact person for current students of German about your career or life path? If so, how should students contact you?

Joseph P. Shaw: Yes – email is the best way to contact me